Friday, October 17, 2014

Clear Home, Clear Mind

It's no secret that I got pretty depressed when I went through my last bout of unemployment last winter.  What I haven't mentioned is that in some ways, I never fully recovered.  I stopped putting my laundry away when I it came out of the dryer, leaving my clothes laid out in stacks.  I figured when I started working again that I would clean up everything, but that never happened.

With this current round of looking for work, my "stacks" turned more into "piles" or "heaps"; I'd take my clothes out and just dump them on the floor.  And, unsurprisingly, my mood got worse and worse.

Yesterday, I decided to fix that.  I did a lot of laundry and neatly folded and put away everything as soon as it came out of the dryer.  I even gathered up some already clean clothes and put them away with their newly washed kin.  And while I still have some clothes that need to make their way to the dresser, nearly everything that was once on the floor is now its home.

I wish I could say that my unemployment is over and I'm starting work soon.  But even without my job status changing, I feel much, much better just cleaning up my room, as if my cluttered bedroom was making my mind feel cluttered, too.

I guess my folks were right about needing a clean room after all ...

No comments: