Monday, October 20, 2014

Proper Timing

While I'm still looking for work, I am hopeful about my prospects.  One thing I've learned over the years is that the timing of events in our lives can be pretty surprising.

During Samuel's time as my roommate, he hasn't paid his own rent.  While I am trying to be more charitable, I couldn't have invited him to stay with me unless he could provide a fair part of the rent - normally, that would be half of the total cost of rent, but since he doesn't have a real room, we settled on a third.  Our bishop promised that the Ward would cover Samuel's share as long as he needed it.  For most of Samuel's stay, things have gone pretty smoothly.

Unfortunately, things have changed recently.  Our newly called bishop hasn't been as fast in responding to my request for Samuel's rent (which has been pointed out to me is Samuel's responsibility, not mine), so he's a little behind.  It was annoying while I was working, but I started planning for it.  Now, it's not just annoying, it's potentially devastating.  That's why I submitted a payment request yesterday with documentation of the three months that Samuel - and, therefore, the Ward - failed to pay.  The bishop saw it and confirmed that he would get me the back-rent by next Sunday.

Those of you that have been playing at home have probably already figured out where I've been leading with this: because of the timing behind all of this, November's rent will be covered by Samuel/the Ward.  This means that while I'm rapidly running out of time to look for work, my biggest expense, rent, will be covered until December.  Now that I'm in a position to see how this is beneficial, I appreciate how the missed rent is now a blessing to me in my time of need.

I hope to have good news soon, but it's nice to know that I have a little bit more time for things to come together.

No comments: