Friday, February 14, 2014

Strange Coincidence

While I was working at my temp job the other day, I received a call.  I was busy, so I let it go to voicemail.  Later, at lunch, I listened to the message and found out that it was a recruiter looking for a technical writer to fill a job vacancy.  In the message, he said that he emailed me with a description about the job, so I decided that I would wait to read the job description before I contacted him back.

Then he called me again.  Since it's unusual for a recruiter to call twice in one day, I picked up.  He was really excited and was really pushing for me to submit my resume for the position.  I was hesitant because the job is in Reston, Virginia, which according to Google maps is about an hour from my apartment, but I know that with traffic it would likely be at least 75 minutes.  I told him that I would think about it and give him a response by the end of the week, but he asked if I could email him by the end of the day.  Wow, I thought, this guy really wants me to go after this job.  I promised an answer by the end of the day.

When I got home and looked at the email, it did look like it was a pretty good fit for me.  Not perfect, but jobs that are perfect fits are rarer creatures than unicorns, so pretty good is actually kind of awesome.  Even with it looking that attractive, I was hesitant because of the commute.

Then I realized that it wasn't a job offer that I would be turning down, just the chance at an interview.  Maybe I won't get an interview, or I'll be able to interview, but won't be offered the job.  If I declined to have my resume sumbitted, I would basically turning down nothing.  So I applied, sending him a copy of my resume (even though I knew he had one) and provided the basic information that he requested in the email.  I was honestly surprised when he didn't call me the next day, but yesterday was Sno-pocalypse in the Eastern time zone, so maybe he was snowed in like the rest of us.

And the coincidence that I alluded to in this post's title?  The job would be for Unisys, the company that my dad worked at for over twenty years as a technical writer.  Pretty wild, right?

No comments: