Monday, November 2, 2015

Without Burden

After church on Sunday, I was headed for the door when I was stopped by a brother I had met before but whose name I couldn't remember.  He asked if I had some time to spare to help him take the sacrament to a member who was in the hospital.  I was surprised that he would ask me specifically, but I agreed to assist him.  He was very happy I accepted the challenge and we went to the kitchen so he could pick up the slice of bread that he had stashed there.

As he drove us to the hospital, he explained that he had asked several priesthood brothers in the ward for help, but everyone was busy with their families (the assignment to take the sacrament to the member in the hospital had been delivered during the second hour of church) -- so my assumption that I was being sought out specifically was incorrect.  I was simply the first person he had asked without familial obligations, so I could actually lend a hand.

We administered the sacrament to a sister who was receiving help for complications with her diabetes (she was in high spirits) and we left.  We chatted for a few minutes, but it wasn't a long, drawn out thing: we had fulfilled our priesthood duty and soon were on our way.

While I do look forward to being burdened with familial responsibilities, I'm glad that I'm able to be an asset during the time while I'm on my own.

No comments: