Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Same Experience, Different Lessons

Since my job requires a substantial drive everyday, I've decided to move closer to it.  However, since all of my friends are in my Ward, I decided to still stay within its boundaries, just farther east.  With my notice given, I'm on the hunt for a new apartment.

Alone.  Samuel won't be coming with me, but that's mostly a good thing because his family should be approved to come to the US any day now.  Even so, knowing that our time together is limited has made me a bit too eager to for us to part ways.  More and more frequently I find myself saying silently to myself, "I won't miss you when you're gone."  Admittedly, that's unfair, but I'm mostly being sarcastic and just trying to vent (to myself?) about my frustrations.

That was my state when Samuel came home yesterday evening.  I had treated myself to some take-out from a local Korean place and was finishing up the large meal when he walked in visibly downtrodden.  I asked what had happened and he told me that he was at his final attempt to take the behind-the-wheel test to get his driver's license, but the tester refused to ride with him because he was "panicked."  I protested that of course he was anxious because he had failed the test twice before and if he failed again, he would have to start all over with taking the written exam and taking driver's classes.  He agreed, but, of course, it was in vain.  I encouraged him to cheer up and told him that things will get better.

Then he asked for a blessing.  I was surprised, but of course accommodated his request.  I cleaned up my meal and had him sit in the chair I had been using.  When I open placed my hands on him and opened my mouth, the spirit of revelation came stronger than I can ever remember experiencing it before.  I won't share the details of the blessing, but I will say that there were words of love and encouragement and also instruction for Samuel.  When it was all over, he was crying, but I knew that they were not tears of sorrow.

When it was all over, I realized how much of a jerk I've been.  No, I haven't said anything rude to his face, but I've thought the rude words repeatedly.  And despite my eagerness to be on my own again, Samuel came to me as a friend in need of uplifting.

The instruction may have been for Samuel, but he wasn't the only one to learn something from the experience.

No comments: