Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Simply the Best

Last Friday, I presented a document that I've been working on for a project at work to that project's manager.  He really liked it.

Let me back up a bit.

One of the problems that I was brought in to help solve was a lack of uniformity for product instructions.  I approached the problem like any good technical writer by doing research.  I reviewed every single instruction I could find, looking for good and bad qualities alike.  Once I had a pretty good idea where things stood, I looked online for instructions produced by other HVAC companies, to see if they had any better examples of how to do things (answer: not really).  Then, I searched for the writing standards to be used within Danfoss.  While there is a writer's guide, instructions are not addressed at all.  So, seeing as how "writer" is in my job title, I decided to write an instructions standard.

I hadn't realized that I hadn't told the project manager that I was writing an instructions standard, but I guess I hadn't because when I presented to him what I had completed, he was really impressed, both with what I had produced and the fact that I had decided to even write it.  Now, this particular document is far from finished and I'll need to talk with other subject matter experts before we're ready to make the standard official, but I'm off to a good start.

This is just another example of how much I like this job.  I was presented a problem, was given enough flexibility to do things my way, and was given positive feedback when I gave an update to the project manager.  I feel like I'm gushing about this job like I'm the company's founder, but it really is that good.  It's nice feel some job satisfaction for a change.

No comments: