Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Epic Burn

On Sunday, I taught the lesson in Teacher’s Quorum.  Before I began, I officially introduced myself and asked all of the boys to introduce themselves by saying their name, what they do for fun, and what their favorite subject in school is.  I saw some themes emerge: everyone said that they like playing video games and most of the boys liked science best.  However, one boy said that his favorite class was tech design.  I didn’t know what that was, so I asked for more of an explanation – it’s a basic intro to mechanical engineering.  That’s when the following exchange happened:

Me: That’s sounds pretty cool.  That wasn’t a class when I was in school.

Quorum Member: Yeah, but they didn’t have computers when you were in school, either.

Everyone: OH!

[Someone in the group]: Epic burn!

Me: Actually, I when I was in middle school, I was one of the few kids with a computer at home.

Quorum Member: I was just kidding.  I just had to take the chance to say an epic burn.

Me: It has to be true to be a burn, son.

Everyone: OH!

Quorum Member: [looking impressed] Man, he just undid my epic burn.

I don’t plan on making a habit of playfully trading insults with the members of the Quorum, but this time seemed appropriate and no one’s feelings were hurt, so I think it worked.  That said, I won’t be repeating that kind of behavior in the future.

1 comment:

Marc R. said...

You called him son. You must be really old to do that.