Monday, March 3, 2014

Adjustments

Samuel moved in Saturday.  So far things are fine, but we're still early in this new situation, so I'm sure adjustments will need to be made.  One that showed up early proved that while we're both easy going, we need to communicate better.

I picked up Samuel from his former residence and helped him pack my car with his stuff.  We then went to the Bishop's Storehouse and picked up our food orders.  Finally, we made it back to my place - I'm reluctant to call it "our place" when Samuel doesn't have his own room.  We were both tired since we had, completely independent of each other, had trouble sleeping the night before.  Samuel laid down, but I started work on some dinner rolls for a ward function that night.  Once the dough had been mixed, kneaded, and left to rise, I went out for a run (the weather is turning cold and wet again, so I'm glad I took the chance while I had it).  When I got back, I punched the dough down and let it rise again.  After the second rise, I rolled the dough into balls and left them to rise the final time.

At this point, we had been home for about four hours.  I hadn't showed yet - I put it off since I was planning on running - so I told Samuel that I was going to shower and did just that.  He just said "okay."  I decided that I would take a long, relaxing shower and it was really nice.  However, once I was out (fifty minutes later), Samuel told me that he needed to shower before the ward dinner.  I felt bad for taking so long, but at the same time I didn't know that he needed to shower (a simple "I'll shower after you" would have been all I needed).  I popped the rolls in the oven when Samuel went in and they both came out fifteen minutes later.  We actually made it to the dinner with about five minutes to spare.

Now, this was only the first day and considering that we merely had one bad miscommunication and nobody got mad about it is a good sign.  We've already both made an effort to schedule things better, so we're even learning from our mistake.  Hopefully most of the adjustments we go through will be just as simple.

No comments: