Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thrown for a Loop

With the snow that hit us (once again) on Monday, my boss called me and recommended that I delay starting my new job until the following day.  So I started on Tuesday, but I it felt like Monday, so I forgot to update the ol' blog in time for Wednesday.  I'm starting to get back in the swing of things, but it does mean that I'm a day late.  My apologies.

Since I've only had a day and a half at my new job (half of the first day was spent signing more paper work), I don't really have a lot to report.  Everybody is really nice, the office has no dress code beyond "wear clothes," and I have a laptop that I have to take home every day.  Additionally, there is one thing that I still don't completely understand: six hour work days.  That's an over-simplification, but the idea is that since we all make a salary and are not eligible for over-time, as long as we meet our deadlines (which sometimes means staying late) and are in the office during "peak" hours (9 to 4), we aren't required to be there for eight hours.  And since I'm just working on familiarizing myself with my role at this point (meaning that I have no deadlines), I've been sent home both days that I've worked at 4 o'clock.  I understand the reasoning, kind of, but it still seems super strange.

Sorry that this post is both late and super short, but there's really not much to write about at this point.  Most of yesterday was spent taking notes on new vocabulary that I need to learn, otherwise known as the kind of thing that isn't worth sharing.  Tomorrow's post should be a bit better since I'll be telling you about my other new job.

No comments: