Monday, March 10, 2014

A Good Reputation

While I was at church yesterday, the Elder's Quorum president told me that another member or the ward, one of the Clerks, was asking about my availability because he could use someone who was "highly skilled" in the ways of the English language.  While I do make comments about grammatical quirks or other nuances of the language from time to time, I have never said anything on that subject to the Clerk in question.  I was surprised that he would think of me when looking for an English expert, not that I don't fit that description, but that he was aware that I fit it.

Apparently, I have built up a reputation for myself as the "English guy" in my ward.  I realize that when I'm constantly spouting off about the subject that it really could only be a matter of time before it happened, but I'm still touched that that is the persona I've established.  It makes me think of my dad, who is both the "English guy" and the "scripture expert" in his ward.  I may still have some work to do before I can have that second title, but for now, I am happy with the impression I've made.

No comments: