Friday, December 6, 2013

This Again?

I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that it should only last one to two months.  The bad news is that I'm unemployed again.  That may not have been the best way to present that news.

But, yeah, I was downsized.  The accounting department is requiring all "non-essential" employees to be cut so that they can have a lower end-of-the-year bottom line (my last day is today).  It's hard to argue that a contract employee is essential, even when the head of my department (a vice president no less) fought to have me stay on.  However, once the budget opens up again in January, they want me to come back on.  I talked to the department head, Jana, yesterday morning and she was gushing when describing the work that I've put forth and how happy she is with what I've accomplished so far.  That was really uplifting.

Part of her high opinion of me may have to do with some recent work that I've done with interviewing different team leaders to see if we can create a better system for creating proposals.  I've never done anything like this before, but I looked up what I could about creating surveys and put together a broad range of questions.  Holly, the manager that I worked with on it, had nothing but positive things to say about my participation.

Unfortunately, this still means that I'm out of work for a month or two, during one of the worst time to be looking for work.  I'm putting in applications into temp agencies so that I can be ready to go when my position appears again, but I'm also going to that old standby: retail.  Obviously, I'd rather be in an office than an Old Navy, but I can probably get in pretty quick for seasonal work and that's better than nothing.

I was really hurt when I found out that I lost my job, but now I'm looking at it more like a furlough, and that's not so bad.

1 comment:

Grandma Bonnie said...

Will you go back as a temp or company employ?