Friday, December 13, 2013

Good Gravy

I don't think it should come as a surprise that I enjoy cooking.  Nor should it be surprising that after several years of working at, I've developed a talent for it.  It doesn't hurt that I've had some training in actual restaurants, but the skills in the kitchen I have are mine because I enjoy spending time there.

Having said that, one ability alluded me: making gravy.  I have attempted to make gravy, chicken or beef, multiple times, but it always ended up a weird, gross mess (except for one time that I had Grandma on the phone, giving me directions the entire time).  My problem always occurred when I would add the flour to act as the thickening agent: instead of thickening all parts equally, it would always clump up.

Last night, I made yet another attempt at gravy-making.  After finishing a beef roast, I collected the liquid from the pan, heated it in a saucepan, and added an equal amount of white flour.  Once again, it clumped up.  While I can't say I was terribly surprised, I was still disappointed.  I did not, however, give up.  I poured the liquid through a strainer and recollected it.  This time, I started with about a tablespoon of butter in the saucepan and added roughly the same amount of flour.  I quickly whisked these ingredients together with a fork and created a smooth consistency.  Basically, I made a roux.  I added the strained beef drippings to it and let it all heat up for a few seconds, watching the texture and thickness.  Lo and behold, I had made gravy!  Not only that, it was quite good!

Gravy making is a very basic cooking skill, but, for whatever reason, one that has eluded me.  After so much trial and error, it feels very cathartic to finally succeed and make some tasty gravy.

No comments: