Thursday, October 6, 2016

New Policy

For many years, I have felt strongly about not giving money to panhandlers.  I have good motivation for feeling this way.  In one area of my mission, my companion and I knew a homeless man who regularly asked us for money that would almost certainly go to booze (he was at the stage of his alcoholism that he was having seizures if he didn’t drink every day).  I don’t want to help fuel an addiction, and since I can’t be sure where the money is going, I don’t give to anyone.

(Now, I do want to say that if a person on the street is playing music, I happily contribute.  They’re working as performers, which is a very different situation than simply saying, “Give me money for nothing.”)

However, just because I don’t want to unintentionally support an addict, that doesn’t mean that I’m unfeeling.  If I could lend support to the men and women I encounter in a way that can’t be used for drugs or alcohol, I would be interested in that.  Turns out, there’s something easy I can do that’s really a no-brainer, if only I had thought of it: water bottles.  Leah keeps a case of water bottles in her car, partly for her own use and partly so she has something she can give to panhandlers.  I thought the idea was fantastic, so I adopted it.  I was excited to be able to help out the destitute of my community, but since buying the case of water, I either haven’t seen a panhandler or I only see them when the light is green.  Even so, I’m sure that I’ll have a chance to give a bottle away soon enough.

I’m grateful that I have such a kind and clever girlfriend who inspires me to want to help those around.

No comments: