Tuesday, October 4, 2016

General Conference, October 2016

Once again, we've come to that time of year where we get to enjoy a lovely weekend of being edified and uplifted by the servants of the Lord in the worldwide broadcast that is General Conference.  I watched the Saturday sessions with Leah, who was a great companion throughout (though I'm sure it didn't hurt that I made homemade burrito bowls for us).  On Sunday, we went and visited with Ian, Sherlin, and the kids.  The kids who watched (Henry, Aeva, and Clara) were surprisingly well behaved, though they were clearly antsy by the end of the final session.  Sherlin was a great hostess and provided snacks for the sessions and dinner once the whole thing was over.  It was great to spend time with people whom I care so much about.

As for the conference itself, one major theme really jumped out to me: repentance.  While repentance is easy to turn into a message of doom and despair, nearly every talk (if not every single one) that mentioned it was hopeful, focusing on the joy of a clear conscience and a clean soul.  Sister Linda S. Reeves' talk on the matter was particularly poignant.

I always enjoy General Conference, though I like it best when I can share it with my loved ones, as I was able to this time.

No comments: