Friday, January 15, 2016

Positivity's a Plus

The other day I was talking to someone who had had a really rough day.  It seemed like disasters were dog-piling on top of them in a very short period of time.  I listened, allowing them to vent out their frustrations (which did seem to help quite a bit) and then I pointed out how good may come from what they experienced.  I didn't tell them that what happened wasn't difficult or that other people had it worse, I simply tried to show them that the admittedly bad experiences could lead to positive outcomes.

I was so surprised by what I had done that I pointed it out to them.  They said that I had made some good points, which was nice, but I really hadn't expected to be the one looking on the sunny side.  It's no secret that things have been difficult for me lately.  Living alone can be soul-crushingly depressing sometimes.  I have friends and I stay in touch with family, but I still have to come home to an empty apartment.  During the week, I do okay because I have work to keep me occupied, but unless I have something planned for the weekends, I may not even go outside.  I missed church on Sunday because I just couldn't force myself to get out of bed.  I'm working on a plan to prevent that from happening again, but it's difficult to be vigilant against something as ever present as loneliness.

However, as the conversation I had proved, if I'm in the right mind, my default is to be an optimist.  I think that's been a part of my personality since I was a kid, but I've also nurtured it, especially in recent years.  I am struggling with bouts of depression right now, but I also know that what I'm experiencing will prove to be an important part of who I am later on.  If nothing else, I can say that I'm motivated to stay healthy in other ways, like eating properly, exercising regularly, and studying the scripture daily.

We may have tough days or even tough years, but I believe they will lead to a better future if we choose the right path.