Monday, January 18, 2016

Fully Stocked

My current workout routine has me doing heavy weight in order to bulk up.  Lifting weights, however, is only one part of getting bigger: I also have to eat a lot of protein.  And since I want to bulk up without getting fat, I have to cut carbs and fat from my diet to make room for the extra protein.  If that wasn't complicated enough, I won't allow myself to eat meat more than once a day in order to better obey the Word of Wisdom.

In order to simplify things, I decided to buy and cook a bunch of chicken breasts, freeze them, and defrost and reheat them as needed.  How much is "a bunch" of chicken breasts?  A dozen.  I had so much meat that I needed to buy a second baking pan to cook it all at once.  After it was all cooked, I chopped it all up and used my new kitchen scale (that I got last week) to make five ounce portions (which constitutes about one sixth of my daily protein needs).  When it was all over, I had twenty portions.  All but one went in the freezer; the final one went in the fridge to be used this evening.

The whole process took much longer than I anticipated, but at least I can rest easy knowing that I won't have to cook any more meat for nearly two weeks.

No comments: