Monday, June 10, 2013

Another Piece to the Puzzle

Not long ago I wrote about finding out some information from Isaac that I felt explained what I was experiencing with my "seizure-like events" as a lack of oxygen to my brain.  Well, I talked to Margot for a long time on Friday night and may have gotten some more useful information.

One of the things we talked about were her migraines.  I remember Allison telling me that seizures and migraines were connected, kind of like different manifestations of the same problem.  Anyway, she told me that what often happens, but not always, is that she'll lose the ability to speak or read for a while.  The way she described it was that she still knew all the words that she wanted to use, but there was a wall in the wall that prevented her from accessing them.  And when she's tried to read something, she could look at the word and recognize that she knew it, but can't get any meaning out of it.  During all of this, she can still understand when people talk to her, but can't communicate back.  While she described it using different language than I would have, it sounds pretty spot on for what I've experienced.  The biggest difference is that I usually recover from an event after about ten minutes while Margot usually takes a couple of hours to get language back.  Also of significance, Margot has a deviated septum, which I suspect that I suffer from.  She also has asthma, which could bring things back to not getting enough oxygen to the brain.

Now, I'm not a doctor and I've done the whole self-diagnosis thing before and gotten nowhere fast.  I know that I have to be diagnosed by a professional before I have any real answers, but learning about what my family is going through, especially when it's similar to my own ailments, will give me more information when I do make it to a doctor.  Which, now that my health insurance has kicked in, should be pretty soon.

No comments: