Friday, September 6, 2013

Results: Inconclusive

I had my latest allergy test recently to determine if I'm allergic to naproxen sodium.  The short answer is no, I'm not.  [Annoyed grunt]!

I went to my allergist's office with the same bottle of naproxen that I used when I last reacted.  He took out a tablet, broke it in half, and and had me chew and swallow one half of it.  I then sat in the examination room while reading an ebook for about ten minutes.  He came back and checked on me, saw that I wasn't reacting, and had me chew and swallow the other half.  The reason for chewing it was to speed up absorption and potentially trigger a reaction faster.  After another ten or fifteen minutes, he came back to check on me.  Still nothing.  He sent me home, telling me to call him if I had any sign of a reaction, which I didn't.

While I guess I should be pleased that I didn't have to deal with another allergic reaction, I'm frustrated that I still don't know what sent me to the hospital.  That means that I could have a reaction at any time because I don't know what's causing it, so I can't prevent it.  The naproxen would have been easy.  Easy to avoid, but I would have to avoid all painkillers because they all fall into the category of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAID.  If I react to one NSAID, I'll probably react to all of them.  Honestly, I would take not being able to fight headaches or muscle aches if I could know what I'm allergic to.  I really thought this was the trigger.  With this removed from the picture, there's no pattern to my reactions, except that they seem to always occur right after a meal, but never the same meal.

Just to make sure, my allergist told me to take two tablets orally tomorrow afternoon, to see if I react.  I'm not expecting anything, but I'll follow through with the order.

No comments: