Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Spanish, too.

Allison and I only have one class together this Fall and it's Spanish II. We've both taken Spanish I twice (once solo, once together), so it is nice to at least appear to be nearing our conclusion with the language. However, our teacher likes to focus on topics outside learning the language of Spanish.

For example, we spent the entire class period yesterday talking about the United States' relationship with Cuba. This involved a brief discussion on immigration and wow are people ignorant about immigration. I thought it was bad in So Cal, but these kids were feeling bad for the Cubans, who get automatic amnesty. What about the Guatemalans who work their entire lives to save enough to pay a coyote to take just their kids up to the US to be dropped off in the middle of the Texan desert? Anyway, Allison and I were annoyed that the other students where looking at the subject of immigration as if it were so simple.

What's my point? We were having the discussion in English. How does it help me better understand and speak Spanish if we have a discussion on Cuba/US relations in English? And today, the last ten minutes were spent, I kid you not, naming famous Hispanic athletes. In English.

I want my money back.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Yo quiero Taco Bell. Maybe that will be the subject next week. At least that involves Spanish.