Friday, October 1, 2010

OSU must answer for its sins.

There was a Football game last night (in Stillwater, the game of American Football is capitalized). This meant that students (who pay for parking passes), faculty, and staff were not allowed to park on campus after 1pm. My last class on Thursday doesn't even start until 2pm, so class was canceled.

Why would OSU make such a stupid stipulation? Because even though it has Boone-Pickins stadium, which is a very impressive and professionally sized stadium, it has no parking for it. At IHOP, which is about a half-mile from the stadium, the manager had to wait outside to shoo away people trying to park directly in front of the restaurant. OSU demands parking and Stillwater kowtows.

Look, I get that Football will always be apart of college life. And it brings in money that is used in other areas of the University, which is good. For the most part, I've just conceded that Football will be a burden from time to time, but it's just there. However, without the University, there wouldn't be any sports. So, how does it make any sense to have Football at a time that it requires the cancellation of classes (one of Allison's classes was canceled even though it was much earlier in the day to simply avoid the problem altogether)?

On an unrelated note, prescription drug abuse in Oklahoma has more than double in the last 5 years.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

When you first checked out OSU you never thought about the sports program. That is something that they don't tell you. Oh yeah, by the way you can't park on campus when there is a football game. Maybe they need to update their brochure.

Amanda said...

Umm...I may be the minority here, but I am loving football season just as much as every year, but only as much as I can when my school is so far away that sometimes games aren't even televised here. Seriously, a crime against humanity. I will say though, never once when I was at Purdue did we have a Thursday or Friday night game, and being that I was in the marching band, I'm really glad for that.

Oh, by the way, welcome back to the world of the blogging. :)