Friday, July 12, 2013

Don't Just Sit There

I've been facing quite a bit of stress at work lately.  I won't go into it here, but suffice it to say that I come home extra tired.  The way I reacted to this has been to stop exercising.  I had been doing crunches every morning and push-ups on the days that I wasn't planning on running in the evening, but being so worn out, I devoted that energy in the morning to simply getting ready.  It was okay for the first week, but last week I actually didn't run once, not even on Saturday.  And instead of getting to work early like I had been, I was pushing it close to actually being late.

I finally got over that this week.  Perhaps it was the frustration of visiting the ER again, but I started up on abs in the morning along with push-ups on certain days and I even ran yesterday evening.  I wish I could say that I feel 100% better and that the difference was immediate, but life is rarely that simple.  What I can say is that it feels good to be active again.  And since I do get heat rash, doing activities that raise my body temperature can be quite uncomfortable, but these activities are still important to do.  I've said before that I clear my head when I go for my runs and I'm sure I'm not doing myself any favors by allowing everything to pile up in my head.

While I didn't need this experience to know that managing stress is a balancing act between eustress and distress, it did help to get the reminder.

No comments: