Tuesday, September 13, 2016

A Real Marylander

Today, I have had a truly authentic Maryland experience: I went crab picking.

A few weeks ago, one of my coworkers, Chelsea, talked about how much she enjoyed crab picking when my boss, Magda, and I admitted that we had never partaken in one of Maryland's favorite activities.  With our secret revealed, it was decided that we needed to go picking as a department.  Chelsea found a place that offers crabs for $1.50 each on Tuesdays, so we made our plan to go.

The thing about picking crabs is that it takes a lot of work and there's a lot of waste.  Most of the crab is inedible and the parts you can eat are hidden away under layers and layers of shell and organs.  It's a good thing I had help because to my novice eyes, the gills (which can make you sick if you eat them) looked exactly the same as the meat.  After a few crabs, however, I got the hang of it.  I didn't count how many crabs I ate, but I think it was around six or seven.  The five of us (the marketing department plus Alejandro from accounting) went through two and half dozen crabs and I could have kept eating if left to my own devices.

At the end of the meal and to everyone's surprise, Magda said that our outing counted as a team building experience and paid for the meal with her company card.  I had already had a great time, so getting to enjoy the meal for free made it even better.

If you ever visit Maryland, I definitely recommend going crab picking, but be sure to take someone who can show you the ropes.

2 comments:

Grandma Bonnie said...

I have only eaten crab if you're times, but it is delicious. I remember it took a lot of work but the reward was wonderful. I'm so glad you're enjoying life.

Grandma Bonnie said...

I can't correct my first message.. I have eaten carb a few times