Monday, November 15, 2010

Pleasant Accident

So, Sunday is Laundry day in our home. It's also the day that I call various members of the family and do my best to keep in touch. Because I'm such a popular fellow, I try to rotate from week to week who I call. Since I called Oceanside last week, I called Utah.

No answer.

So I called Hawaii.

No answer (which is to be expected, what with Baby Henry being hospitalized).

So, I called Oceanside again. Isaac picked up. I was surprised because I was expecting to talk to Mom and Dad, but I'm not against speaking to my baby brother.

The conversation was led by the boy and it was definitely focused on the gospel, but I must say, it was what I needed. It's no secret that life is not always easy and right now there are extra struggles that Allison and I are facing, so having a gospel-based conversation was really uplifting.

But that's not all. Isaac and I haven't always had the best relationship. To put it bluntly, I beat him up a lot when we were younger. I mentioned this at one point during the conversation and apologized for the way that I had treated him. He has every right to hold that against me, but his response was a simple, "You know I love you, right?" It was humbling and I have to say that I'm surprised at the great guy he's grown into. I was happy that I called and that we had the chance to better get to know each other.

So, two posts in a row about how I have awesome family members. Will you be next?

3 comments:

Margot said...

I'm glad I could help by not being available to talk on Sunday.

Crystal said...

Isaac has been through a refiners fire, and he has turned into a diamond.

Marc R. said...

We would have liked to talk to you, but given the outcome, we gladly defer to Isaac.